Meeting 5 October 2019 -- Minutes for this Meeting
British Classification Society, conference and AGM (Annual General Meeting),
For the conference, ten participants.
- Presentations by:
- Christian Hennig,
- Fionn Murtagh,
- Nema Dean,
- Renato Cordeiro De Amorin.
The previous AGM was in the University of Essex in 2015.
- AGM attendance:
- Fionn Murtagh (University of Huddersfield)
- Bo Zhang (University of Essex)
- David Wishart (University of St. Andrews)
- Nema Dean (University of Glasgow)
- Berthold Lausen (University of Essex)
- Renato Cordeiro De Amorim (University of Essex)
- Christian Hennig (University of Bologna)
- President report, David Wishart as a postgraduate student met John Gower.
David became active in Government Statistical Services.
- Secretary report: Fionn Murtagh, website contents to be made known to
- Treasurer report: description of the Journal of Classification often
being obtained with one's registration annual payment, and an issue that
needs to acted upon is if GBP changes in value for USD payment.
- Auditor: Clive Moncrief will remain one year more as auditor, i.e.
all financial issues. Clive was Treasurer before Christian Hennig.
Constitution, to be sent to members before the next AGM.
Discussion of British Classification Society membership of IFCS, International
Federation of Classification Societies, and now also EuADS, European Assocation
of Data Science. (For EuADS, £500 per year. What will help to have the
British CLassification Society as a member of EuADS is to have a lot more
members of the British CLassification Society. The president of EuADS has
been Berthold Lausen. Example of society membership of EuADS, GfKl,
Gesselschaft fuer Klassifikation, the German classification society.)
Possible and probable next British Classification Society meetings:
(i) an event in memory of John Gower, in March 2021, relating to John's
birthday; (ii) possibly an event on a Saturday in March 2020 (arranged by
Renato Cordeiro De Amorin); (iii) a conference in September 2020 in Glasgow
(arranged by Nema Dean).
- Election of Officers:
- Treasurer: Christian Hennig resigns; appointed, Nema Dean.
- President: end for Data Wishart; appointed, Fionn Murtagh.
- Secretary: end for Fionn Murtagh; appointed, Renato Cordeiro De Amorin.
- Council: in addition to the foregoing listing: David Wishart, Christian
Hennig, Berthold Lausen.
- Meeting "Keeping up with the
literature: the role for computer text analysis", Hicks Building,
University of Sheffield, 23 Feb. 2001.
- David Holland Smith (DERA),
- David Kent (DSTL),
- David HS/Nick Kemp (DERA),
- Mark Sanderson (Sheffield),
- Joe Carthy (Dublin),
- Hamish Cunningham (Sheffield).
- Joint Meeting of the BCS and the
British Computer Society, School of Computer Science and Information
Systems, Birkbeck College, Nov. 2001.
- L. Lebart (ENST, Paris),
- B. Mirkin (Birkbeck),
- A. Gammerman (Royal Holloway),
- J. Daugman (Cambridge).
- Joint Meeting of the BCS and
the Herts/Beds Group, Royal Statistical Society, Statistics
Department, IACR Rothamsted, Harpenden, Herts, May 2002.
- Roger Payne (IACR Rothamsted),
- Gavin Ross (IACR R.),
- showing of BBC2 TV program on R.A. Fisher, Exhibition of Fisher's
work, manuscripts and calculator.
- Meeting, The Natural History
Museum, London, Spencer Gallery, 27 Jan. 2004.
- P. Robinson (Centre for Technology and Arts, De Montfort
- C. Howe (Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge).
- Meeting poster, "Academic
obsessions and classification realities: ignoring practicalities in
supervised classification", David Hand (Imperial College), 27 April
2005, Hicks Building, University of Sheffield.
- Joint Meeting of BCS and Statistical
Computing Section, Royal Statistical Society, "State of the art in
supervised classification", 3 May 2006, Billiard Room, Institute for
Mathematical Sciences, Imperial College.
- Ludmila Kuncheva (Univ. of Wales, Bangor),
- David Hand
- John Shawe-Taylor (Univ. of Southampton).
- "Representation and Generalisation in Pattern Recognition",
Joint Meeting of BCS and Computing Section of the RSS, 6 Oct. 2006.
- Robert P.W. Duin, Delft University of Technology,
"Representation related problems in pattern recognition".
- David M.J. Tax, Delft University of Technology, "Outlier
detection using ball descriptions with adjustable metric".
- Dick de Ridder, Delft University of Technology, "Integrative
- Elzbieta Pekalska, University of Manchester and Delft University
of Technology "Statistical learning with general proximity measures".
- "Analysis and Classification of Large Complex Datasets",
Brunel University, 2 Feb. 2007.
- Xiaohui Liu (Brunel) on bioinformatics;
- Peter Willett (Sheffield) on virtual screening techniques for
- Bob Nichol (Portsmouth) on cosmology;
- Mel Janowitz (DIMACS) on formal concept analysis and its
relation to clustering;
- Boris Mirkin (Birkbeck) on neighbourhood
similarity clustering for complex data and domain knowledge,
applied in bioinformatics.
Mel Janowitz (Buck),
Xiaohui Liu, (Buck),
the British Classification Society/Classification Society of North America
meeting in Brunel University, 2 Feb. 2007.
- "Analysis Methodologies for Post-RAE Scientometrics",
Royal Holloway, 6 July 2007.
Kolmogorov Lecture, Prof Robert Merton, 23 Feb. 2010.
Computer Learning Research Centre, Royal Holloway, University of
- The 2010 Kolmogorov Lecture was presented by Professor Robert
Merton (Harvard Business School), winner of the 1997 Nobel Prize in
- Meeting and AGM, 24 September 2010, UCL.
- John Gower (Open University), "Beyond eigenvalues".
- Tom Fearn (UCL), "Identification of Animal Feed Ingredients
using Near Infrared Microscopy".
- Fionn Murtagh, Joe Reddington and Adam Ganz (SFI; CS, RHUL; Media
Arts, RHUL), "Correspondence analysis and hierarchical clustering in
semantic and stylistic analysis of text, with application to film, TV,
and other domains".
- ICC 2011,
International Classification Conference, University of St
Andrews, 11-15 July 2011.
Keynotes: CJ van Rijsbergen (Glasgow and Cambridge Universities),
Adrian Raftery (Univ. of Washington).
- Programme and
- ICC 2011 included the
Workshop on Bourdieu and Multiple Correspondence Analysis. Led by:
Michael Grenfell (Trinity College Dublin), Frédéric
Lebaron (CURAPP/CNRS, Université de Picardie), Brigitte Le
Roux (MAP5, Université Paris Descartes and CEVIPOF/CNRS, Sciences-Po).
Meeting and AGM, University of
Essex, Fri. 18 May 2012. Hosted by
the Department of Mathematical Sciences (DMS), University of Essex
(UoE), Dr Berthold Lausen.
- Welcome and opening
by David Wishart (President BCS) and Abdel Salhi (Head of Department
Mathematical Sciences, UoE)
- Axel Gandy (Department of Mathematics, Imperial College London)
- Christian Hennig (Department of Statistical Science, UCL, London):
"Some thoughts on cluster benchmarking"
- Günther Sawitzki (StatLab, University of Heidelberg):
"The excess mass approach and diagnostics for modality"
- Alex Gammerman (CLRC, Royal Holloway), "Classification by Conformal
- Nick Fieller (Department of Probability & Statistics, University of
Sheffield): "Classification in High Throughput Screening"
AG DANK/BCS Meeting 2013 in London,
British Classification Society meeting, including AGM, co-organized with the
Arbeitsgruppe Datenanalyse und numerische Klassifikation (AG DANK) of the
Gesellschaft für Klassifikation, University College London, 8-9 November 2013.
Organisation: Dr Christian Hennig, Department of Statistics, UCL.
- BCS 3 May 2006 AGM Minutes,
held at Imperial College London.
- BCS 6 July 2007 AGM Minutes,
held at Royal Holloway.
- BCS 14 July 2011 AGM
Minutes, held at the International Classification Conference, ICC 2011,
University of St Andrews.
18 May 2012 AGM Minutes, held in University of Essex.
- BCS 9 Nov. 2013 AGM
Minutes, held in University College London.
- BCS 9 July 2014 AGM
Minutes, held in University of Essex.
2 September 2015, AGM Minutes, heldin University of Essex.
BCS Treasurer report.